Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Breaks

This week my classes are going better and the students are really growing on me. One student always comes to class early and writes an agenda for the day on the board. Yesterday he almost had it perfect! The class is only a few minutes away from burning out an entire candle, the result of not speaking any other language besides English in class. I am beyond thrilled. They are very proud too and motivated to keep trying.


Right now the students are researching about teaching strategies and creating student-centered lesson plans. I am learning to simplify things and break down as many concepts as possible. There is so much information to cover in such a short amount of time! Each week we have a new vocabulary word. This week was “rubric.” The students are overwhelmed but that is not always bad. Maybe that will force them to work even harder! Being a good teacher demands working hard, so they better get started now!


I gave the students my phone number for emergencies only and thankfully none have called yet. I gave them strict instructions not to call me to say hello or after 10:00 pm. They must only call for class related problems or concerns. My phone’s silence over the weekend is a good indicator that they understood! 


One student professed his love for me after class. I told him that if he respects me he would never say that again. I also told him that all students must show me respect as their professor. He walked away looking defeated. Those are the breaks! Kurtis Blow, take it away for me:


3 comments:

  1. Wow Delia you have lots of patience and a strong backbone. That is admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one student proffesed his love to you!!!!!! It is unusual behaviour acording to my exerience as a forme Mauritania student. I am just wandering if he comes again to your class. I like the way you narrate. Aziz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a good narrator. How come you focus on these details while you're teaching! What amazed me the most was the student who express his love to you. I understand now why we were taught by old female teachers at the English Departments.

    ReplyDelete