Saturday, January 16, 2010

Kitties!

For the past few weeks I keep hearing kitties crying late at night. I listen closer and I can clearly hear their piercing cries for help. I can't access any of the yard around my house so I can't go out in search of them. I just hear them. I have imagined all kinds of trouble they are in. Have kitties fallen into a deep hole? Have kitties been abandoned by their mother? Are kitties hungry? Do kitties want to find a new home? Sometimes I think I imagine it. Maybe there are no kitties!


Then I went to Dakar and I was on the beach when I heard a kitty crying. It was the exact same noise. I stopped in my tracks and said, "Kitty!" I looked around and in a pile of grass, right next to a busy highway, I saw her. A little marmalade kitten!!! Her eyes looked infected and her fur was all matted. She looked hungry and she was screaming for help. 





We picked her up and carried her away from the road, somewhere near the water and hoped that someone would find her, fall in love, and take her home. There was no way that I could have saved Kitty and brought her to Nouakchott. I was very sad to leave her. 


Last night I heard the kitties crying again. At least I know I am not imagining it. Maybe I should try to find them and rescue one. 




1 comment: