Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My baby got sauce

I arrived in Grand Popo on a Friday afternoon. As I got out of the taxi, a motorcycle taxi pulled up. I negotiated a price, slapped on my helmet, and hopped on. The driver drove about five meters before stopping in front of a man standing on the side of the road. The man handed the driver a large bowl covered by a plate. The driver in turn handed the plate to me with an apologetic look. Then he added, "it is sauce for my wife's lunch."

I carried the bowl for about ten minutes before we stopped in front of a beauty salon. A little boy came running out of the shop and took the bowl from my hands. Everyone inside the shop waved. The driver turned around and kept driving until we reached the hotel.

This event symbolizes one of the things I love best about living in Africa. Helping others is expected, assumed, and not optional... whether it is holding someone else's baby in a taxi, carrying a heavy bag, or bringing sauce to a hungry wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment