Friday, December 23, 2011

December Workshopping

I was insanely busy in December coordinating a series of three 5-day workshops, reaching a total of 155 teachers. 



It was a very busy month! Meeting teachers from throughout the country is one of my favorite aspects of my work here. Helping to build teachers' capacities and strengthen their skills is the reason I am here. 
At the end of the month I was exhausted but felt a great sense of achievement. The highlight was seeing many of my former students again. It was wonderful to reconnect with them and hear all about their lives in their villages where they teach. During one of the workshops we wrote haiku poems and at the end of the workshop, one student presented me with a haiku poem that he wrote: 


 The Last Word by deeleeya 


Two other former student shared poems that they wrote for the workshops as well: 
 My Teaching Journey by deeleeya 


 The Poor Teacher by deeleeya 


One teacher wrote this poem as well: 


Acknowledgements
By Ibrahima Khalidou NDiaye
English Teacher in Oualata

Nancy, Merci!
Day after day
For five days
The courageous Mauritanian English teachers
Have gained from your experience
More than one billion skills
To achieve their proud goal.
But what is sad,
Let me tell you
It’s your hand and ours
Will say bye, bye
However,
Don’t worry about
Of course, you’ve left
But never lost
Because you’ve left most
Which will stay on forever
Nancy, thanks!
Nancy, merci!
Delia
Go ahead!
Absolutely useful for Mauritania
Dear colleagues
Try and use
What never wastes the time
Thanks to the Ministry of Education
Hallelujah to the U.S. Embassy

All in all, the workshops provided a meaningful end of a productive year. I hope that I am able to accomplish even more in 2012. I have my work cut out for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment