Sunday, November 11, 2012

Birdhouse in My Soul

My downstairs neighbor had a beautiful garden in his front courtyard. I was always envious  of this luxurious green space in a sandy city. I have no balcony, courtyard, or roof. I have only small windows and an even smaller view of the trees around my apartment. 

Last spring I woke up one morning to a ray of sunshine coming in through my front window for the first time. I looked down and saw a young man madly chopping down anything green in sight. My neighbor had just gotten married and in an effort to please his new bride, he cut every living thing in his yard. Evidently she was not fond of the mosquitos hiding in the dark spaces.

However, my window was still covered in dead tree branches, caught between in the bars. I asked him to please remove the branches and he said he didn't have a ladder. He pushed a stick through my screen and I then begged him to stop. 

When I came back this fall, I found that some birds had decided to make good use of these branches. They made a nest in my screen. They destroyed the screen further, forcing me to close the glass or face the consequences: Feathers and twigs flying into my house! 


I don't plan on staying here long enough to evict my newest neighbors. I like their singing and maybe I will have a little family coming soon. 

Every time I look outside I think of this song: 

No comments:

Post a Comment