Monday, November 18, 2013

Algerian Dream

I spent eleven days at a book fair in Algiers. The fair is "the largest cultural event" in Algeria, with a record 1.5 million people in attendance this year. As I was talking to people, I realized that it didn't matter what I said because nearly everyone who came to the table just wanted to hear me speak English and have the chance to engage in a dialogue with a native speaker. Many of the people I met told me they have an "American Dream" and I was always quick to remind them that I am here and living the "Algerian Dream."  

The highlight of the fair was talking to a diverse audience about all kinds of issues. I was so happy to meet the board of a super energetic English club in Ghardaia (a city in the south of Algeria), as well as a wide assortment of writers, artists, teachers, intellectuals, and academics. I was also invited to do an interview for a children's television show, which I have yet to see. 

The fair provided a real introduction to Algerian generosity. Everyday my newly found friends brought me gifts - among the highlights were a scarf from the scouts of Ghardaia, hand-drawn fashion pictures of fashion and graffiti, an English-Arabic dictionary, a novel about youth leadership, Peruvian fiction, English-Arabic card game, a paper swan, and beautiful hand painted ceramic boxes. I was so touched that strangers returned many times to become my friends within just a few days. Of course the gift of friendship is the most memorable and significant! 

In the time since the fair I have run into many of the people I met there. In a city of 5 million people it seems surprising but every time I go downtown I run into people who say, "Delia" or "I want to learn English." I hope that my friendship with many of the fair-friends continue and I will definitely do my part to keep in touch. 




No comments:

Post a Comment