Friday, February 5, 2010

Khaima Market Discoveries


One of my favorite places in Nouakchott is the “Khaima Market.” This market is a place entirely for women and it is where they make and sell tents. Many Mauritanians live in khaimas. Some people use them as outdoor porches or on the roofs to provide relief from the sun. Everything is done by hand and the results are fabulous. 


While we were there, the women offered us plates of rice and peanut stew and one woman even offered me her pipe. Most of the women only speak Hassaniya so communication is a challenge. The khaima women are tough bargainers and it was even more difficult for me to negotiate as I watched their needles moving in and out of the colorful African fabric.


Nonetheless, we some how managed to share ideas and find common ground. Most of all, we were able to agree on how much the khaimas should cost! The small tents cost around $10 and the big ones can get up to $100 or more. What a bargain! Meeting the women and visiting the market is priceless.


I have bought six tents so far, all very small. I like to hang them on my walls and of course they are also great blankets. My house is beginning to look like a khaima market too!


2 comments:

  1. I can just imagine how colourful and cosy and inviting your home must be... the women must have enjoyed communicating with you too. Perhaps by the end of your journey you will have learnt to sew a khaima too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! I am ready to start my lessons!

    ReplyDelete