Monday, March 8, 2010

Little Delia

Last week I met a little girl named Delia. 



Next Tuesday, she will be eight years old. Delia lives at the orphanage in Nouakchott. She is cared for by a wonderful woman who opened her house to all of the city's unwanted children. She raises the children as her own and they have become part of her large family. 


There are currently about twenty children living in her house. She began caring for all of them when they were babies. They all arrived in various ways, from people calling to tell her about a baby abandoned in the garbage, to her daughter finding a baby in her car at the end of the day. Everyone knows that all children will be well taken care of in her care. 


She created a school for the children and they all grow up as brothers and sisters in a happy and loving environment. I love all of the children equally but of course I have a special place in my heart for little Delia. I will never show it because I want to give the same amount of affection to all of the children. 

I feel so lucky to be able to spend time with the incredible woman who has sacrificed everything to care for these forgotten children. With no institutional funding, she relies on the generosity of individuals. I want to surround myself with passionate people who stand up for what they believe in. I know I have already found that in this amazing house. I have already decided to spend as much time there as possible and help as much as I can during my time here.





1 comment: