Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Military Doctor



Every day I walk past many men carrying guns. It is part of life in Africa. Men with guns guard the banks, government buildings, and other important places. Each day I see the same men and I started greeting them, even though they don't usually respond with more than a nod. 

One day I saw one of the soldiers walking toward me down the street with his hand on his head and a pained expression on his face. When I asked him what was wrong, he said that he had a terrible headache. Then he told me his shift wouldn't be finished for ten more hours. I happened to have some ibuprofen with me so I asked him if he wanted some medicine for headaches. I briefly explained a few of the potential risks of taking it. He eagerly accepted the pills and smiled a half smile in appreciation. 




I forgot about that incident completely until two months later when another soldier stopped me on the street as I was walking by, saying, "Excuse me, Madame." When I turned in his direction, he opened his mouth wide and pointed to a tooth, stating, "It hurts when I chew." I explained to him that I was not a doctor and that he needs to see a dentist to figure out the problem. I also told him to go to the pharmacy and buy some ibuprofen and he asked me to write down the name for him. I carefully wrote the letters on a piece of paper he produced from his pocket.

As I turned to leave, another soldier stopped me and began to roll up his pant leg. He pointed to his shin and said, "It hurts when I run." Again, I explained that I am an English teacher and not a doctor. I then told him to make sure he warms up well before running! At that point, I could no longer hold back the laughter and everyone soon joined in.

Now when I pass the soldiers I get many smiles and greetings, and of course, reports of good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment