Saturday, May 1, 2010

Momo's Cart

This is the cart belonging to Momo. 




Momo is twelve years old. He parks his cart in front of my house every afternoon while he digs in the near by trash cans. He searches for food for the hungry goats at his house. Instead of going to school, Momo walks long distances from early morning until it is dark every evening. Sometimes he walks alone but most of the time he travels with other boys who are also moving throughout the city in search of suitable things to add to his cart. Goats here will eat almost anything so it is interesting to see the kind of food he finds. Cardboard seems to be a popular snack. 

Momo's father is sick and his family is very poor. His brother made this cart for him so he could help support his family. I have started carrying around candy in my bag at all times so that when I see the cart I can leave some sweets inside as a small surprise. All little boys deserve to eat candy! I wish that there was more I could do for Momo and his friends. I decided that sharing their story was the simplest thing I could do.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing his story Delia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for always sharing your insightful comments!!!

    ReplyDelete