Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dada ya Moyo


This month one of my best friends visited me from New York. I was so delighted to show Shannon around this country and do more exploring myself. Most of all, I was just over-the-moon excited to be able to spend time with my sister from another mister and be as silly as can be. 


Our adventure included visiting two national parks, exploring ancient desert trading towns, spending an afternoon in an oasis with hot springs, and living the sweet life in Dakar.  The true highlights were singing ridiculous songs in the back seat, late night dance parties on the dunes on the cape, eating endless batches of popcorn, and seeing an amazing array of wildlife including warthogs, jackals, monkeys, dolphins, tortoises, flamingos and hundreds of other bird species. 


Since my chica chica hopped on the plane back to Brooklyn, I have felt an emptiness. Of course I have an incredible group of friends in Mauritania and I am exceptionally grateful for their friendship. Yet there is nothing comparable to the bond of old friends who know me better than anyone. Shannon and I lived together in two cities and traveled the world as true sisters. 


Today I am thinking about how incredibly lucky I am to have found a huckleberry friend as sweet as this dada ya moyo.  


2 comments:

  1. You ladies are the best sisters ever! Lovely photos and so glad Shannon you were able to go out and spend some time with our Delia!

    Hands up to both of yas for being 2 cool beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dara!!! I hope that one day we can travel somewhere together! Even better, I dream of the day we live in the same city again!!!

    ReplyDelete