Friday, November 26, 2010

Giving Thanks to the Ancestors

Thanksgiving is a celebration of family and friends. This year I decided to honor my beloved Grandma Marjo by continuing our family tradition of making orange rolls. I used a basic roll recipe from the Internet, which was my biggest mistake. The rest of the recipe I followed from memory. After finishing the first batch, I called my sister in a panic to confirm that I was on the right track. I was proud of myself for not missing a beat. 


Next year I will plan ahead and get the recipe right. This year it didn't matter that the rolls were doughy, burned, or dense, things that my Grandma never would have allowed to happen. It only mattered that my house smelled like hers for this one day. 


On the other side of the globe, my twin brother was making orange rolls for the family dinner. Our family was united in orangey-wonderfulness. I am thankful that I can always feel close to my family just by mixing together some simple ingredients that can be found anywhere. Even though I am far from my family, I always keep them close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment