Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sugar Plum Fairies

My friend asked me to download the Nutcracker for her because for some confusing reason I can download iTunes in Mauritania while she can not. I was happy to be of help. 

Once I downloaded the songs and started listening to them I was transported to my youth when my grandmother took me to the ballet. We would always go to the Northrop Auditorium at the University of Minnesota. I would wear my best dress and hope that I would be a classy enough date. We always went to Annie's restaurant before the performance for milk shakes, french fries, and cheeseburgers. 


We continued the dinner and Nutcracker tradition as I grew up and went to college. I believe that my sister and aunt have continued to carry on this annual family outing. It has been a long time since I have been able to participate because of my extended stays far from home. 


My favorite part of the Nutcracker is when the Prince dances with the Sugar Plum Fairy. The music captures the magic of this time of year. Lately I haven't felt very much in a holiday mood, which is easy to understand in an environment as unlike winter as Mauritania. Yet in an instant, this piece brings back all of my memories of the holidays in Minnesota. It makes me miss my family and treasure all of the time we spent together. I am sure I will watch it many times before leaving Nouakchott for my winter travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment