Monday, December 20, 2010

Universal Love for Toys

Recently I was lucky to be able to help distribute some toys to an orphanage in Nouakchott. This orphanage is not a sad, broken place. It is a house overflowing with love and happiness.



This was especially true when the box of gifts was opened to reveal wooden cars with wheels big enough to roll over some seriously rough terrain; baby dolls complete with hand-knitted hats and blankets, lovingly tied with a ribbon; jumpropes; and hand-sewn "footballs" made with cotton fabric and filling, perfect for toddlers to juggle, toss, or use for an extremely micro-sized pillow fight.


The care and thoughtfulness invested in each toy truly impressed me. I could never have imagined a more perfect assortment of toys for children here- each one with a hand-made element and definitely rugged enough to last a long time. Also, even though the toys were sent from the United States, most of them were made with materials that could be found here. I love how anything destroyed could easily be reproduced or repaired locally. 


I hope that the kids won't mind that I took a few toys for myself! I plan on sharing the joy with the children in a village near the Senegal river where I will visit soon. I can't wait to see their faces when the next box is opened. 


I am starting to believe in Santa after all!





2 comments: