Sunday, January 15, 2012

Market Treasures


One of the best things about Africa is the amazing markets. There are endless treasures to find, like this amazing bargain-priced Panasonic, I mean, Panmic stereo!  


This is the textile building in Cotonou... imagine the magic of three floors filled with African fabric! The last time I was there I spent three hours inside the labyrinth and I barely scratched the surface! 


One of the highlights was finding a vendor selling Nigerian woven fabrics and she was happy to dig in the massive mountain of cloth to find some scraps for me to use as scarves. I was delighted at first but as I was deciding on the best pieces I felt that crazy "just buy it all" frenzied-shopping-feeling and I nearly walked away empty-handed. She expertly roped me back in and now I wish I would have bought more... 




Of course I had a difficult time deciding on the print of the wax fabric, the sheer quantity of choices overwhelmed me and I also almost left without making any purchases. In the end I chose a couple simple designs and was proud of myself for not completely indulging in my love of textiles. It is so easy to do but I already don't know what to do with the piles of fabric I have at home... 




Next time I hope this fabric goddess smiles down upon me and points me in the direction of more gems! African markets are indeed fabulous places!


No comments:

Post a Comment