Thursday, January 12, 2012

Where I'm From

I love doing creative writing projects with my students. I view these projects as an essential part of developing a sense of community in our class and also modeling for my students how these types of projects can fit into any curriculum. I hope that my teacher-trainees will one day encourage their students to express themselves creatively as well. Right now, there is little of this happening in Mauritanian classrooms.


I am lucky to have a new group of first year students who are passionate and open-minded. We spent the first day of class writing "Where I'm From" poems, after we listened to a recording of George Ella Lyon reading her poem that provided inspiration. We have also started recording our own poems. Here are a few of the students' wonderful poems! 


 I Am From -Mikailou by deeleeya 




 I Am From - Sekou by deeleeya 




 I Am From - Sarr by deeleeya 




 I am From - Habib by deeleeya 







No comments:

Post a Comment