Thursday, February 16, 2012

Disappearing Act

Many people ask me about my diet in Mauritania. I think that I live a pretty comfortable life here and I can eat most of the things I want to eat. Somethings are expensive to buy but surprisingly most things are available if you are willing to pay the price (the other day I even saw Ben & Jerry's ice cream!)


My biggest challenge to eating healthy is myself. I can't explain why but I suffer from a lack of appetite here. I just don't feel hungry. It is not because I am busy, lazy or a lack of variety of food. I just don't have an appetite most of the time. When I am hungry, I tend to eat a lot of fresh produce and I am amazed at the huge amount of food I can buy at the green grocer for just a few dollars. Who doesn't love salads with chickpeas, tahini, cucumber, parsley and carrots? 





Most of produce that we get here comes from Morocco. Some things are fabulously cheap, like pomegranates and clementines. Avocados are expensive but I allow myself to splurge whenever I see them. The sudden appearance of dill or spinach is always a sweet surprise. Today I found a huge bin of crisp, red radishes! Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment