Thursday, April 26, 2012

Five days with taxis

Taxis in Nouakchott are an excellent way to meet all kinds of people. The drivers cruise around town and pick up passengers wherever they can. I have met taxi drivers from many countries, from Mali to Senegal, Niger to Togo, Nigeria and Ghana. The list goes on and on. I love talking to taxi drivers and hearing their stories and the passengers can be equally entertaining. Here is a summary of the taxis I took this week:
  1. Man with Spanish military hat on his dashboard, purchased in Nouakchott from the second-hand clothing market and gets him waved through all military check-points... (the military assume he is a high ranking official with his faux hat!)
  2. The driver of a Swahili-speaking woman from Burundi with three of the cutest kids I have ever seen in my life (Burundi-Mauritania-Pakistan heritage) who were all in the car with me. She showed me her house and invited me in for tea and chapati. She has called me and greeted me every day since. Charming new friends!
  3. Mauritanian anti-terrorism police officer who lived in D.C. for three years and spoke perfect English. He said he finishes work at 14:00 and uses his car as a taxi after that! 
  4. Intellectual Malian/Mauritanian international traveler who has lived in over 15 countries and spoke as many languages! He also has another day job, at an Embassy somewhere?
  5. Ivoirien taxi who always appears out of the blue and gives me free rides (superhero?)


No comments:

Post a Comment