Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Whole Lot of Love


The past seven weeks have been heart-breaking. My father's stroke and recovery process has been long and difficult. Every single prognosis the doctors have provided has taken much longer than they estimated; days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months, and months turn into years. The most recent estimate is that it will most likely take about one year for my dad to recover (with some remaining deficits) and at least 6 months in the hospital. Of course, anything can happen with brain injuries and my dad's prognosis could change dramatically in either a positive or a negative direction. There is a lot of patience involved. I am sure that no matter how difficult this has been for us, the family, it has been 1,000 times more difficult for my dad. 

If anything positive can be said to have risen from this crisis it is the knowledge that my dad  - and entire family - has a lot of love & support. There are thousands of fans and friends sending him get well wishes every day. The outpour of love has been overwhelming. The first month in the hospital were filled with countless goodwill gestures from friends, dinners, lunches, snacks, music, concerts, flowers, lattes, rides, and everything in between. Then one of my dad's friends organized a fundraiser and the immediate response was incredible. He raised $10,000 within three days. This immense support was amazing and helped us all get through those toughest moments in the beginning. I can never repay this kindness and I know that I have a debt to repay. 

I heard about an English teacher in Nouakchott who has been sick. I asked about him last week and a group of teachers told me that he had a stroke. I called him this morning and he told me that the left side of his body is paralyzed (like my dad's). I made a plan to see him on Tuesday. I hope that I can help give him some support and maybe my experience in watching my dad's recovery process can be of help. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this, Delia. I hope your dad will recover steadily and I hope you take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete