Friday, January 7, 2011

Il n'y a pas de l'avenir

One of the biggest challenges I have encountered in Mauritania has been the lack of planning around me. I struggle nearly every day with disappointments about the lack of planning, communication, and coordination. In the midst of being frustrated, I keep thinking about a recent visit to the village of one of my friends from New York. I was lucky to meet his father, who was once the village chief and still holds an important place in the community. 


In our discussion about community development, he explained that in Mauritania, "il n'y a pas de l'avenir." How wise these words are! There is no planning for the future- decisions are made on a daily basis. I have found that relying on others to help plan activities months, weeks, days, or even hours in advance can be extremely difficult. I repeat this phrase so myself to often that it has become my maxim. 

My friend's father has seen so much change throughout his life. Perhaps most significantly, he was witness to the horrible events of 1989 (to learn more you can read this report). I was grateful to be able to sit down and listen to his stories. I wish that I spoke his language well enough to express to him my genuine admiration and respect. The next time I see my friend in New York I will be sure to tell him that he and his father are my heroes. In fact, I think I will call him today!





No comments:

Post a Comment