Saturday, January 22, 2011

Workshopping


I recently returned from a busy week of professional development workshops for in-service teachers in two regions of the country. These trips have been the culmination of over one year of planning! 

It was incredible to meet so many wonderfully positive and motivated people. I have returned to Nouakchott with a renewed energy and enthusiasm for this important work. The teachers described classes with 120 students, classrooms ill-equipped with only a handful of desks, an insufficient number of books or no books at all, battered, unreadable chalkboards, etc. Yet despite these challenges, they demonstrated a commitment to continuing to search for creative solutions and most importantly, to motivate their students to continue studying. 



One of the highlights of the trip was meeting some of my former students from last year who are now teaching in schools across the country. It was intensely rewarding to see that they all seem to be doing well and making the most out of their new environments. I was proud to see them take a leadership role in group activities during the workshops. I am confident they are making a positive difference in the lives of their students. I hope that I am lucky enough to meet more of my former students throughout the year.


The teachers of one region decided to write an article for one of the local newspapers about the workshops. You can read it here


I feel exceptionally grateful to be able to work in Mauritania and help create opportunities for teachers to exchange ides, resources, and experiences! Mission accomplished! Now on to planning the next workshop.


No comments:

Post a Comment