Saturday, January 29, 2011

Revolution doesn't lend itself to be-bopping

I was supposed to travel to Egypt for a conference today. Instead, I am sitting in my house, sipping peppermint tea, and reading the news about what is happening there. I would have loved to have had the chance to participate in the conference, exchange ideas with my colleagues, and see the pyramids! I guess I will have to make the trip another time.



Last Wednesday I went to the library to find some resources for my students. I came across one of my favorite all-time poems and made a photocopy of it to keep for myself. A few days later, my travel plans were cancelled due to a real revolution taking place in Egypt. Tonight I came across the poem as I was unpacking my school bag to get ready for class. I read it again, this time in the context of the current events in Egypt. Finding the poem seemed to foreshadow the cancellation of my plans.

For Saundra
by Nikki Giovanni


i wanted to write
a poem
that rhymes
but revolution doesn't lend
itself to be-bopping
then my neighbor
who thinks i hate
asked – do you ever write
tree poems – i like trees
so i thought
i'll write a beautiful green tree poem
peeked from my window
to check the image
noticed that the school yard was covered
with asphalt
no green – no trees grow
in manhattan

then, well, i thought the sky
i'll do a big blue sky poem
but all the clouds have winged
low since no-Dick was elected

so i thought again
and it occurred to me
maybe i shouldn't write
at all
but clean my gun
and check my kerosene supply

perhaps these are not poetic
times
at all



I guess that revolution also doesn't lend itself to attending conferences. This poem will be a souvenir of my trip that wasn't meant to be. 


Power to the people!

4 comments: