Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day

Last week I was invited to my friend's wedding. Her mother is the cousin of my friend in New York, so she is like extended family to me. I was delighted to join the family in celebrating this important occasion. It was my first time to participate in a wedding in Mauritania.  



The wedding lasted two days and I attended the final part of the ceremony- the reception! I arrived at my friend's house at 9:00 pm and every room was overflowing with people dressed in their finest attire, shiny, colorful, hand-dyed "grand boubous"! I also wore my best ensemble, with the newest style of embroidery in Senegal. 

Everyone was busy when I arrived. I greeted all of the griots, praise-singers, and they sang my name over and over so I that I would be forced to give them some money. Everyone laughed, clapped, and sang along. I was happy to contribute to the festivities by encouraging these rambunctious women to keep singing. After a little while, I found my friend Aissata who just had a new baby seven days before. Her name is Binta. I wrapped her in my arms and stayed in the same place for the next two hours.


Eventually, my friends came to find me and took me outside where a big tent was set up. There was live music and everyone was busy dancing, taking pictures, and talking to their friends. A little later, plates of popcorn, cookies, and doughnuts were passed around. 




At midnight the bride arrived wearing a gorgeous pink dress and a cameraman followed her around as she greeted all of the guests. A queen for a night!




At one a.m. plates of food were carried out for all of the guests to enjoy. I had class the following morning at 8:00 and took the opportunity to head home. I returned to the house the following day to say goodbye to the bride, who will now go to live in her husband's house in a large town about 400 km from Nouakchott. I was happy to meet her lucky husband who stopped by at the same time as I did. I wish my friends a long and joyous marriage. I dedicate this song to the groom:



Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment