Friday, March 11, 2011

No desks, no chairs, no books, no one cares



Since January, I have been traveling to the different cities in partnership with the Ministry of Education to lead regional educator workshops. The workshops have three sessions, one led my myself, one led by an English Inspector, and a third session led by the teachers. 


I decided to share a workshop on the challenges and solutions for teaching large, multi-level classes. I started the workshop by asking teachers to brainstorm a list of the challenges they encounter. Top on the list in each city has been a lack of materials- notably text books, desks, chalkboards, and chairs. One of my former students who is now a teacher reported having 120 students in a classroom equipped with only with only five desks. The rest of the students sit on the floor.


I witnessed this challenge first-hand during a recent visit to Maghama High School, where the majority of the 70 students per class have to sit on the floor. I was surprised to see the students sitting on old pieces of wood, with protruding nails and other dangerously sharp objects. The students also sit on the old, broken desks, balancing as best as they can. The teachers said that they often fall during class, creating a loud disturbance, as well as risking a serious injury.


The second part of my workshop has been to ask the teachers to brainstorm a list of possible solutions to these challenges. They came up with some creative ideas that I hope they will put into action. Now that I am back in Nouakchott, I am trying to think about what I can do help the teachers and students get the basic materials they need to teach and learn. I decided that for now the least I can is to share what I have seen with as many people as possible. A picture is worth a thousand words. When I see these pictures, I feel a pain deep inside my heart.




4 comments:

  1. Wow, Delia. These photos are astonishing and difficult to believe. Is there anything that I --and other non-missionaries-- can do? Some way we can contribute something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delia - We do care. What can we do to help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for asking! I am actually thinking of starting a small fundraiser. The price of wood is astonishing in Nouakchott so I am trying to see what is actually feasible. I keep you informed! I am so happy to be able to have such generous, thoughtful, and kind people in my life. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Delia for caring about the issues of our educational system. I'm glad you went to hometown and liked it!!!

    ReplyDelete