Monday, March 28, 2011

I love Baba Maal

My dear friend Aly recently gave me some of the old Baaba Maal songs I have been looking for. I have been listening to these newly found songs non-stop. These recordings even enabled me to win a bet with one of my colleagues during our last trip together. On the way back from the hotel we were discussing what year Baaba Maal was born and the driver remembered that the answer had been mentioned in one of the songs we had previously listened to. We all stayed in the car waiting for Tidjane Ane to settle the debate and reveal the answer in his introduction... I won 1,000 Ougiya (three dollars) and I am still awaiting my payment! 

Baaba Maal was born in 1953 and so he has made literally hundreds of recordings. My favorite is the traditional music, called yela. However, there isn't a single album that I don't like. His music continually gives me strength to focus on my work and remember what is really important in life. I can honestly say that Baaba Maal has been the soundtrack for every important decision I have made in the past ten years. So far, his music has always steered me in the right direction. I heard that Baaba Maal is set to visit Nouakchott again in the next few months. I hope that I can have the chance to see him before the end of the school year, and the end of my contract in Mauritania. In the meantime I know that his music will help me decide where I want to live next. I will always be proud to announce that I love Baaba Maal!





No comments:

Post a Comment