Monday, June 6, 2011

I appreciate life's many gifts...

I have been moved to tears too many times to count in the past four days. The generosity of my students is truly overwhelming. Their presence in my life is the best gift yet they continue to reveal their outstanding talents for finding the most thoughtful gifts imaginable- a gorgeous melehfa selected by my student's mother based on my favorite colors (learned by reading this blog), a hand carved jewelry box more precious than anything I could ever put inside it, a delicately painted tea set... the list goes on.


I am counting my blessings each and every day that I am here in Mauritania. I was given an incredible opportunity to be able to live here for two years. I was given amazingly positive and charismatic groups of teacher-trainees and the freedom to design my own courses. When I think about my life, my heart overflows with love.

My appreciation for every single one of my students is encapsulated in this poem written to  share with the rest of the class during our nighttime activities- sharing music, poetry, songs, rap, or any other talents:

Songs of Friendship
By Mohamed Mahmoud Ahmed Lekrama

Welcome here and now at anytime
To such a trip and joyful site.
A lot of work ahead, you know
A chance for all to see and sight,
The flowing water up the hills,
The trees, the rocks, the sky at night.
Besides, I have a word to say to her,
A riddle for you, as well, to figure out.
The word is that: We would not have,
Thanks to her, a food for thought.
The riddle is like: What is a candle
Burned out all along to give the light?
How much time you think you need
To realize that it is you; the neophytes!
The teacher is the answer. A man of
Deeds who often play his cards right.
Because of him, I do confess I learnt
And you too should confirm this fact.
And that is how you came to know
This lovely being, this ever glowing bright.
Her name is Delia, our stroke of luck
A friendly mate, a part and parcel of delight.
I wish you all a happier life and luck
And all our graduates a better spot,
Not far from home or favorite city,
So they enjoy the time and spare a fight,
Over what to teach and not to teach
And all the trivial talk and tit for tat.
In class do not forget to do your best,
Come well prepared, alert for even worst.
Have an eagle’s eye and when annoyed,
Avoids the fault of either fight or flight.
Hard luck: Moussa, Hamdi, Abdou, Yeslem,
Abdeljelile, Abdoulay, Oumar, Naim Lebatt.
My best regards: Hafedh, Fayol, Adama,
Kader, Hawa, Sakho and this and that.
Not to forget, of course, to thank: Ismael,
Salma, Fatma Salma, Baba and Lemrabatt.
My thanks also for first and second
Year and all who are here and I forgot.





No comments:

Post a Comment