Sunday, June 5, 2011

We Are Family

In Mauritania, the University and other higher education institutions do not organize any sort of graduation ceremonies. Last year at ENS, our second year students finished their two years of exams, practice teaching, papers, and studies with nothing more than a visit to campus to read their final marks posted on the bulletin board.


This year I wanted to do something special to mark the graduation of my second year students, who have honestly been the best group of students I have ever taught. At the same time, I wanted to bring my two groups of students together because I had the luck of having a truly brilliant group of first year students this year as well. Both groups have so much positive energy and seem to genuinely enjoy working hard. They do not complain, love to laugh, and make the most out of each class. 


I came up with an idea to have a class retreat where we could spend three days together doing workshops and activities. Since my students played a vital role in organizing both of the  day-long conferences for the teacher's association last year I knew that they would embrace a new challenge and that they possessed the skills and motivation to lead workshops and activities with their peers. I selected the oasis of Tergit as a location for the workshop because it is beautiful, isolated, moderate in temperature, and close enough to reach in a few hour's drive.


My students excitedly planned creative and interactive activities and led them with confidence. They did complain a little during the trip- but not excessively- and it is to be expected in a group of 31 adults. They camped in tents, slept under the stars, and were confined to the walls of the mountains surrounding us. There was no cell-phone reception or way to charge electronics. We were totally disconnected. During free time we swam, played football, went hiking, and played music. 





It was an incredible experience to bring all students, from all backgrounds, to learn and share ideas from 6:00 am in the morning to 1:00 am at night. I learned so much over the weekend about my students' incredible talents as singers, dancers, guitar players, drummers, football players, story tellers, teachers, problem mediators, jokers, swimmers, poets, rappers, tea makers, and navigators. I will never forget the weekend I went to Tergit with my students. The experiences we shared brought us together and now we are family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment