Thursday, June 16, 2011

Seeking treasures

Before I arrived at ENS (the teacher training college in Nouakchott) the administration removed all of the English books from the library, claiming that students were stealing them. The books were locked away in offices that were rarely used by the Professors on campus. Students (or anyone else) had essentially no access to them. When I asked about the books, I was informed that there was a new room designated for the English department library that would be open very shortly. I was shown the room and agreed that it had much potential. I gave my commitment to help in any way possible but gave up asking about it after a year. It seemed certain that it would never happen. 

Fast forward two years. The U.S. Embassy has provided the funds to finally create a functioning library. They built bookshelves, desks, and chairs. They will also donate computers and additional books. I called on all of my students to come together to help me put the books in boxes and move them to the new room. We dusted them off and organized them on the shelves. I estimated that all of this would take four hours. Yet after six hours the room still looked like a tornado. 


After two days of immeasurably hard work, the books are mostly organized. While digging through the boxes I found two treasures: 

A thesis from my school directed by another Delia in 1987 (evidently she was the "Pitts"):


A book from the library of the Jr. High where I attended (it really was "Anrotten"): 


Finding these books was like an omen that I was on the right path. It reminded me of the me of this scene from one of my favorite movies:




I wonder what will happen to me if I seek the treasure? I think I am getting close!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Delia, D.D, The Sweetest Ever
    While reading this note, I enjoyed sth you master very well; your craft in documenting. This smooth text is really wonderful and your choose of the pictures is fascinating

    Dear Delia,D.D, The Sweetest Ever
    I, exactly the same as all of my classmates, was very lucky to deal with you and to know you. Even the whole country was so and the pictures you've provided are the evidance.

    Dear Delia, D.D, The Sweetest Ever
    I'll conclude this with a very large capital-letter sentnce:
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR EVERYTHING.

    Mohamed Lemine Ould Moulaye Ahmed.

    ReplyDelete