Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bigfoot

One of the highlights for me this summer is to return to Olympia and see my friends from the Masters in Teaching program at the Evergreen State College. One of my former colleagues is a Makah Indian and grew up on a reservation near Neah Bay. He still has a lot of family there and visits often. This summer he invited another colleague to visit the Res for a few days to hang out and go surfing. They had a total blast!


The two excitedly told stories from their trip. They told me about their evenings in front of the campfire and stories about bigfoot sightings. Surprised, I asked if they both believed in sasquatch. They excitedly told me that they did. Alex proceeded to tell me many first-hand encounters with bigfoot by his brothers and sisters, uncles, aunts, and cousins. For them, there is no doubt about the existence of the "tall ones." 




They carefully explained to me that the forest cover is too tall for authorities to search for them and the sasquatches are too smart to fall for any traps. Bigfoot families avoid the smell of humans and prevent getting seen, except on chance occasions. 


They told me about one time when family on the Res took a walk on the beach near their houses and they saw piles of seagulls with their hearts and innards ripped out. Bodies were everywhere. They were shocked to see such carnage, especially since seagulls are difficult to catch. They kept walking and saw another seagull massacre further up the beach. Then their eyes drew them to the edge of the beach, to the forest, and they saw enormous branches taken down with bodies of seagulls impaled upon them. They saw gigantic trees uprooted and destroyed. They began to feel very scared... 


Then they heard loud screams. It was not the sound of bears, which they were very familiar with. It was a high-pitched scream. They ran as fast as they could but they couldn't return to their house with the same path they arrived on. They had to leap across a five-foot gap between rocks. They were terrified. 


As they told their stories I had goosebumps on my arms. Both of my former classmates completely believed in the credibility of the story. It is interesting to hear about real-life American legends, after spending time in Africa and meeting people everyday who believe in genies, spirits, and mermaids. Maybe I need to open my mind more and start believing in their existence too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment