Friday, September 30, 2011

Vacation (All I ever wanted)


What would you do if you had three months of vacation? I will tell you what I would do:

  • Visit the village of Gbeko, Benin for one month, for the first time since completing my Peace Corps service in 2002
  • Hang out for two weeks in Kaolack, Senegal with my favorite student from the adult education classes I taught in Brooklyn (she left New York and moved back to Senegal a few years ago)
  • Spend the weekend in Thilogne, Senegal with the families of many of my friends in New York
  • Travel home to Minneapolis, Minnesota and spend three weeks with my family. Most days were spent with my mom touring the cities many lakes and parks on matching Schwinn Cruisers
  • Attend the wedding in Chicago, IL of one of my best friends and favorite people on the planet, Anne Sweeney. I also got to see old friends and spend some quality time with my newest friend, Eva Simone Newman, a very fun and silly 19-month-old charmer!
  • Take a trip out West to visit Seattle, Olympia, and Portland to catch up with many old friends. I love the Pacific NW- the clean air, green everywhere, gorgeous views of mountain peaks, amazing bookstores and genuinely kind, generous people
  • Organize a “girls weekend” in Deep Creek, Maryland. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world to spend four days with four of my best friends who came to MD from NY, WI, MA, and VA! We cooked delicious meals, went hiking and visited some local tourist attractions
  • Celebrate Brooklyn! Two weeks in Brooklyn could never be enough but it allowed me to see many of my best friends and enjoy the music, culture, museums, and restaurants of the greatest city on earth…

I hope that I have another two month vacation next year. I already have many plans and many more people to visit. Until then, I will be singing along with the Go Go's! Take it from here, girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment