Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Well I went to school in Olympia...



I am currently in Olympia, WA. I went to grad school here at the Evergreen State College to become a teacher. Last night I had dinner with my two professors, who have had such an important impact on my life. For two full years, Terry Ford and Sherry Walton worked around the clock to help me to develop the skills I need to be the kind of teacher I came here to become. I use these skills every day and feel grateful to have had mentors who are incredibly gifted, wise, and talented. 

The previous night I met up with some of my former classmates from my program. It was great to hear all about their teaching paths and career choices. Most of my colleagues are starting their tenth school years this year. They have gotten married, had kids, and bought homes.


In contrast, I have really become a nomad since graduation, making homes for myself in Benin, Chicago, New York, Ethiopia and Mauritania. I still don't know where I will be living next year. All I do know is that I will return to Mauritania in two weeks and try to finish what I have been working on over the past two years. 

The good thing about living overseas is that I can always come home and catch up on all the news. I always imagined that all my friends from grad school hang out and have large dinners but for the most part it seems like they only see each randomly other around town at the farmer's market and coffee shops. I would like to try to visit more often and make more of an effort to stay in touch. This is my first visit since graduation in 2002. 

It has been incredible to return to Olympia and see many of my friends again. I never could have survived graduate school without such an incredible group of friends and I never would be the teacher I am today without the leadership of my amazing professors. Although I do love it here, there is no way that I could have ever stayed....





2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about Portland, Oregon. I went to law school there and that is where I began my practice. It was (and is) a gorgeous little city. Two years ago, in one of those moments of doubt about my decision to go abroad, I thought I was crazy for leaving the life there. But I'm so glad I did, if only to discover my own path as a lawyer and my resilience. I still miss the place, the people and will visit this winter holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jocy! When I was in Portland I went to the Post Office and the guy in front of me in line was sending a package to Cambodia. I can't explain why but I thought of you and tried to read the writing on the address label. The guy must have noticed and he sort of hid the package from me. I never did find out if it was addressed to you. I am sure it wasn't but it just seemed like it could have been. It is a small world. I guess that it should have been ME who was sending you that package :)

    ReplyDelete