Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Different Colors, One Person

One of my favorite things about living in Crown Heights, Brooklyn was sitting out on the stoop and watching the world go by. Eating a double with some sorrel made it even sweeter. The best part was getting all the neighborhood news from my friends around the block.



I haven't exactly found that in Mauritania, but talking to the neighbors' guards, listening to Lucky Dube, and drinking sticky, sweet, and strong cups of hot tea has been a nice substitute.


Tonight's conversation was particularly funny, with my neighbors discussing about whether or not it is good to use skin bleach creams. This is one of my favorite issues to discuss, and I never get tired of explaining the many perils of these products. 


My dear friend, nicknamed the "President," responded that to be White was "not good." He elaborated, exclaiming, "Delia, ah! Delia is never the same color. The Delia you see now is NOT the same Delia you see in the morning!" 


Evidently I am a chameleon. I have been laughing all night about President's perceptive observations. I understood his message to be that we should be proud in the skin we are in. I am so lucky to have funny and honest conversations with my neighbors. I keep thinking about what would come up in conversation in Brooklyn about this issue? It would definitely be equally enlightening. I will fall asleep tonight singing this classic number and thinking about the President's wise words...

No comments:

Post a Comment