Thursday, November 26, 2009

Breakfast at Tiffany's

I have spent the last three Thanksgivings in different cities and today will be the fourth (Minneapolis, Portland, Chicago, Nouakchott). I love taking advantage of the long weekends to catch up with friends and family. Although I have celebrated with different people each year, I have always been surrounded by people I love. This year will be different since I have not yet made friends with many Americans in Nouakchott. I will celebrate with new friends at the Embassy's Thanksgiving feast. 


Last night when I was feeling homesick I cheered myself up by watching Breakfast at Tiffany's. I love this movie. I love New York City. I love Audrey Hepburn. I decided that I need to find a place in Nouakchott that is my "Tiffany's" - calming, peaceful, and safe. The Embassy pool might be a good choice. So far every time I have been there I was the only one there. I also realized that I need a little more spontaneous fun in my life. I miss the silly antics one can have in a big anonymous city! 





I woke up this morning and made a mix of my favorite songs about NYC. I have been listening to it all day while making my mashed potatoes and jello mold. Just kidding about the last part, but I hope there are red, white, and blue jello molds served at the Thanksgiving feast. Next year I will perfect mine.  The Dead Prez song NYPD actually mentions Brooklyn's Dean and Nostrand, exactly where I lived for almost four years. Up next, a Nouakchott mix! 

  1. Empire State of Mind (feat. Alicia Keys) - Jay-Z
  2. South Bronx Subway Rap - Grandmaster Caz
  3. New York, New York - Grand Master Flash
  4. NYDP - Dead Prez & The Evil Genius DJ Green Lantern
  5. Brooklyn Bomb - Nas
  6. Harlem Streets - Immortal Technique
  7. New York, New York - Frank Sinatra
  8. Take The A Train - Duke Ellington
  9. Moon River - Henry Mancini  
  10. Spanish Harlem - Aretha Franklin
  11. New York City - Tabou Combo
  12. Bright Lights, Big City  - Jimmy Reed
  13. Innner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) - Marvin Gaye
  14. Living For The City - Stevie Wonder
  15. The Ghetto - The Staple Singers
  16. Oooh Child - Five Stair Steps
  17. City Vs. Country - Jonathan Richman
  18. Fairy Tale of New York - The Pogues
  19. New York City - Cub



2 comments:

  1. A NYC mix! Awesome! NYC misses you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you seem homesick. Nouakchott is different from NYC, is not it?

    ReplyDelete