Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Technological Times

I wanted to give an overview of how I am living here. Because all of my other experiences living in Africa have been in villages or with families, I have been learning a lot about how to take care of business myself!

I live in an apartment without an address. There aren’t really street names or numbers here, just landmarks. My apartment is near a big hotel so the hotel is sort of my address, “the apartment across the street from….” It is funny to always have these reference points without any proper names.

To get electricity, I had to go to the electricity company many times, wait in a hallway for hours, and bring with me a bunch of documents, such as my lease and contract. While I was at the office, I noticed a big stack of mattresses in the corner. In amazement, I watched as customers grabbed the mattresses and laid down on them. They were apparently in for the long haul. A man came with a tray of tiny cups for tea break. The electric company knows how to create a relaxing environment for the endless waiting! Fortunately, I was able to avoid most of the waiting. With these friends in high places, I was able to get connected in only three days. Otherwise it could take months. I might still be sitting on that mattress now!

It was the same process for the water. I only had to go one time though, thanks again to the inside connections. While I was waiting in the long line every one in the line moved out of the way. They informed me that women don’t wait in line in Mauritania. Reluctantly, I went to the front of the line and soon another woman stood behind me, and then another. The women formed an alternative line next to the main line. The women were all served first. Sometimes it is good to be a woman in Mauritania!

Once the electricity and water were all set up, I was able to move in to my fabulous apartment. Here's how the water works: I have a hole outside of my house filled with water. I have a pump next to the hole that brings the water up into my apartment. It that makes a lot of noise when ever I turn my faucet on but since most of my apartment is in that back of the building, I don’t really hear it running. I nearly cried when the neighbors recently installed a new pump outside my living room window. It is like a power drill constantly bzzzzzzzzzzing. I guess they use a LOT of water.

My water pump broke after living here for only one week. I called the landlord the following morning and he hung up on me. I learned the hard way that landlords don’t fix anything here. They just collect the rent each month. If anything goes wrong, it is all on me. I had to pay a plumber to come here and buy a new pump. $100 later, I have water again, as long as the power doesn’t go off. I have a big bucket of water in the bathroom for those times. There are frequent power cuts but they don't usually last long. 

I also have a hot water heater! It was broken before I moved in but the landlord would not fix it. I paid a plumber to buy a new thermometer and now I can take hot showers every morning! This is especially luxurious because the mornings are a little cool during this time of year.

Every month a man comes by to bring a bill connected to my water counter and I have to go to the water company office to pay the bill. Same for the electricity and DSL Internet line. I am so overjoyed at having this technology in my home, I will never complain about running all over the city to pay the bills each month. At least being a woman I don't have to wait in long lines! All in all, living here is pretty easy with all of this technology. I am thanking my lucky stars!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Add photos!! We're dying to see what it looks like there.
    xx
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing about your daily living experience. It provides us far away peeps with a vision of your life. You spoke about the difference in treatment based on gender. Is there any difference in treatment based on race?

    ReplyDelete