Saturday, November 21, 2009

Living for the Weekend



We have weekends on Fridays and Saturdays here. Yes, the work week is Sunday-Thursday. Didn't I mention that I live in an Islamic Republic?

Yesterday my friend took me I to the big produce market in Nouakchott. I have no idea why I never went there before. It is an entire market devoted only to fruit and vegetables- my kind of place! The variety was pretty impressive and the prices were cheap, cheap, cheap. One of my favorite items for sale was a bag of beautiful rocks. When I asked my friend what it is used for he said it was called gum arabic and used as a drink! I didn’t buy it but I was really tempted. Maybe next time!!!

My friend kept pointing to things and asking me, “do you like this?” when I said yes, he bought a little bag of it. He collected a bunch of little bags and then asked me “ok. What will me make with all of this?” I had no idea but I liked the challenge of it, like the Iron Chef. Secret ingredients? Beets, onions, garlic, manioc, pumpkin, carrots, green beans, okra, and lettuce! I had no idea what to do with this combination and either did he. When we got to his house and he presented it to his wife, he said “This is Delia’s lunch.” I was quickly summoned into the kitchen. They both looked at me. Hmmmm…. salad and stew? So we did just that. We grated the beets, carrots, and lettuce for the salad. Then we chopped the manioc, okra, pumpkin, and beans for the stew. Mashed the garlic in the mortar and threw it all in a big pot. Prognosis? Delicious! I was skeptical but it was so tasty that even the children loved it. My friends have three very precious girls and a little man so cute he'll break your heart. They are a very silly family. They love laughing and dancing and I just love visiting them.



See the cuteness for yourself:













1 comment: