Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Children's Games

Although children in Mauritania work exceptionally hard to help complete all of the household work (carrying water, doing the laundry, washing dishes, cooking meals, and cleaning the house), there is always still time for fun. I love learning about life for children all over the world. I am fascinated to see their handmade dolls and I learn their games. I was surprised to see many familiar games being played in Mauritania. It seems that playing is universal! 


Kids can make a fun game out of practically anything. A handful of rocks can become a fun catch game called tenga, which is a lot like jacks!




A patch of sand is perfect for the local version of hop scotch, it is called laka...


A piece of rope is all the kids needed to play jumprope, known as ina tire!


This little cutie took an old water jug to make a cart!


I met this little fella who made a car out of wire:


And these cool kids made a drum and who knows what else out of an old barrel...


I had a lot of fun joining in their games. If I would have had more time, I am sure I could have learned much more! I feel so fortunate that these kids welcomed me into their world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment