Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Graduation

Today the English students at the University of Nouakchott celebrated their graduation. I celebrated with them too! Yesterday my students organized an entire afternoon for me, which included lunch, shopping, and henna. I arrived home just before midnight! It was the big preparation for the ceremony. 

My student picked the latest henna designs for my feet and hands. This one was named after the Mauritanian version of American Idol that is all the rage right now in Nouakchott. Sitting on the floor of the aunt of my student, one women went to work on my hands, while the other one started my feet. 


As the henna designs started to dry, the women added lemon juice to help the color soak in. They constantly added the mix, which they referred to as "sauce." After my both hands and feet were being painted, I had to lay down. For the next four hours, I was like a baby, requiring constant attention and care. My student poured cups of mint tea down my throat every hour, along with big gulps of water.

When the work was finished, my hands and feet were wrapped in toilet paper and a plastic bag was tied around it. Keeping my hands and feet raised in the air, stuffed in plastic for many hours was not as uncomfortable as I imagined. Maybe that is because I was well taken care of and I had great company.


That night I couldn't touch any water at all. I washed my face by pouring soap on it and holding it under the sink. It seemed to work well enough. 

I woke up the next day to dark red hands and feet, covered with intricate patterns. It is beautiful. When I arrived at my students' graduation, my students kidnapped me again. This time they brought me to a room and covered me in a Mauritanian dress and dark eye make-up. By the time I arrived at the ceremony no one even recognized me. My colleagues and students stared at me as if I was a complete stranger. I could not stop laughing. The students who gave me this amazing gift were all smiles throughout the evening. So this is what happens if you become close to your students in Mauritania! You start to become Mauritanian!


1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize that was you in the photo! This reminded me of an Indian wedding.

    ReplyDelete