Saturday, July 3, 2010

Jombaajo


One of my favorite things about Africa is the fabric. I especially love Mauritanian fabric, hand dyed with vibrant hues and intricate designs. I just love it. After spending a week with women who love fabric as much as I do, I learned the names of all the fabrics available in Mauritania. There are many types every woman knows the various qualities and costs. 


During this visit, I was given with one of the most beautiful gifts I have ever received. My friend presented me with her traditional wedding dress. It is painted/printed by hand and it is gorgeous. As she passed it into my hands, she and her mother whispered, "don't wash it," because the print is delicate and could wash off. As tears fell from my eyes I also worried that they would damage the dress. I couldn't stop them from coming because this gift was so thoughtful and beyond generous. My friends are exceptionally kind people, who have very little and share it without a moment's hesitation. I know I will never be able to repay their kindness.


Now I have a new dress to wear to ceremonies and important events. The kids insisted that we also have a little fun with the dress, staging my own "wedding" in the village. The pictures they took with my camera became a sensation and everyone kept asking me about my jombaajo (wedding). I told them that my husband never arrived!




I will treasure this dress for the rest of my life. I know that this gift will always make me think of everyone in the village and especially my amazing hosts. 






2 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabric. Jealousy courses. And what a way to support the local economy, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocy I also have fabric envy of your adventures in Cambodia! Maybe we will have to organize a sample swap!

    ReplyDelete