Thursday, July 1, 2010

Dust Storm

For many years I have heard about dust storms. I have tried to imagine what it feels like to be inside one. Well I finally had that opportunity during my visit last week to a small village. The rainy season started and I was warned that the rain is always preceded by "wind." I had no idea what that meant. I found out pretty quickly when I looked at the sky!




A mountain of dust coming right towards us. 




Everyone collecting their things and running out of the way of the storm!




Getting closer!


Closer!




Closer...



Here! Inside the storm. The sky changed from orange, dark red, and then pitch black! 




When the storm was almost passed we snuck out to take a picture!

As fascinating as it was, I am not sure I would look forward to another experience like this. The good news was that the dust storm was following by refreshing rain. The 120 degree temperatures cooled and I slept better than I had all week! I went to the doctor today to get my eyes checked because they have been all itchy ever since. She said not to worry, that they were just "irritated." Sometimes having a camera is a curse!

No comments:

Post a Comment