Monday, July 12, 2010

Come with me and escape


Maybe it's because that I grew up in landlocked, flat Minnesota that I find mountains, ocean and desert to be so intriguing. Looking out over something so much larger and more permanent than myself reminds me that I am just a small, transient part of the earth. Time is precious and I need to make the most of each day. 

On a recent trip up north, I visited Chinguetti. It is a small, ancient trading town on the edge of the Sahara. My first sight of the endless dunes was indescribable. I just kept thinking about how I could follow the dunes all the way to the Sudan. I feel so fortunate to be able to live in Mauritania, where it's ocean is stunning, it's mountains are awe-inspiring, and it's desert is incredible. 

We visited an oasis to spend the day drinking tea and eating dates and then returned to the town on a camel. I named her Sandy. 


After a few minutes, I began to feel the sting of the unfamiliar saddle but eventually I became comfortable enough to actually be sad when the journey came to an end. I felt so happy with my feet dangling above Sandy's back, watching my reflection in the sand and taking in the amazing views in all directions. 


I still understood why most often the caravan doesn't actually ride the camels but uses them to carry their supplies and materials. 


Many people who live in the town spend months each year out in nomadic camps. Living in the desert is an essential part of life here. 


It is exceptionally hot in Chinguetti during this time of year. We were lucky enough to have rain on our first day there. The cool wind lasted throughout much of our second day as well. The combination of the rain and dunes made me think of the Pina Colada song and I couldn't help singing it the entire weekend.



Our friend who was kind enough to let us stay with his family also wanted to learn the words. It became our soundtrack. The next time I visit Chinguetti, I think I will need to think of a new theme song. Maybe I will be inspired enough to write my own!



1 comment: