Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Every Day is Opposite Day

Every day is opposite day in Algeria. Opposite from Mauritania! Even though both countries are located in the Maghreb, the differences could not be greater. 
Here are a few of my observations:

1. 
Algiers: One of the oldest cities in the world, dating back to before the 5th century

Nouakchott: A relatively new city, dating back to only about 1958

2.
Algiers: Mountainous

Nouakchott: Flat

3.
Algiers: Cool and rainy

Nouakchott: Dry, hot and windy

4.
Algiers: Covered in green parks

Nouakchott: Covered in sand 

5.
Algiers: Government works for the population- free health care, free education, including University level (with free meals & transportations for all students), subsitized services (transportation, gas prices, food, etc.) 

Nouakchott: Very little government visibility (no roads, water, or sanitation provided for poor neighborhoods, etc)


I could keep on listing but you get the idea! 

Of course, there are MANY similarities between the two countries, politically and socially. I can save that list for the next time. 

Also, I do not want to put a value on one place vs. the other. Every city has it's advantages and special secrets. 

Most of all, I want to make it clear that I love Mauritania. I love the year-round sunshine and the warmth of the people. I miss the ease of life in a small city, where I had a clear vision of my capacity and role in the country. I feel a bit lost here right now but I have felt lost in my first year in every city where I have lived (LaCrosse, Nairobi [Kenya], Olympia, Gbeko [Benin], Chicago, New York, Shimelba [Ethiopia], and Nouakchott). I hope I can stay for longer than a year to really feel adjusted to life here. If not, at least I will try to learn as much as possible during my time here. 

I know that I will be back to Mauritania soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment