Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Spectacular Kindness

I had an incredible day, from start to finish. 

Morning - I arrived at the Embassy and my colleagues helped me collect magazines for a class project and make photocopies of a resource I want to share. Everyone was smiling and helpful. I left with three overstuffed bags and a large box of books and magazines. I thought I could walk home but after a few minutes I had to stop for a little break (everyone told me it was too heavy but I can be extremely stubborn...). One of the Embassy staff was leaving work and he asked if he could help. He carried the box to the main street, called a taxi, paid for the taxi, and insisted on carrying the box to the front door of my building. The words thank you will never be enough. 


Afternoon -  I showed the film "Amandla" to the students at the business school. I walked into the room to find 75 enthusiastic and energetic students and teachers waiting for me. One of the members of the student association even made a slideshow with pictures and music to watch while we waited for everyone to arrive. It was brilliant. Another student introduced me and made a wonderful speech. After we watched the film, I led a discussion. The professors told me about how Miriam Makeba came here and they went to her concert in the 1970's. Makeba was even given an Algerian passport. It was fascinating to hear their first person accounts of those difficult years from an Algerian perspective, a country that showed real solidarity with South Africa.


Evening - I like to go to the vegetable stand each evening and buy the things I want to eat at that moment. I bought an enormous bouquet of deep green celery. The bottom is covered in dirt and it seems like it was only picked this morning. The vendor tied string from the ceiling to create small, colorful clusters of oranges, dates, and bananas. He smiled as he inspected his work, and said, "tomorrow, this" and he held up a small melon. I will have to stop by soon to see the new decorations. Before leaving, I commented on the beautiful Asian pears, painted red on the stems and wrapped in tissue, like precious gifts. The vendor said they were gifts and he gave me one to take home. I came home and unwrapped it. I carefully studied the bright red paint on the tip and ate it slowly to appreciate each bite. 

Today was filled with moments that made me so grateful to live here and experience the spectacular kindness of everyone I encountered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment