Sunday, December 8, 2013

Jamaanu Anglais



This summer I had the privilege to work on a project I have had in my head over the past few years. I wanted to create a program for the community radio stations in the Senegal river valley. The idea stemmed from work I did with Pulaar Speaking radio in New York from 2007-2009. Pulaar speakers are people who speak the Pulaar language, which is more widely known as Fulani, Fulbe, or Fula. In Mauritania and Senegal, it is called Pulaar. 

The name of the show is "Jamaanu Anglais." First I was thinking that a good name could be "English Time." The idea of "time" didn't really translate the same in Pulaar so one of my brilliant friends suggested the word "Jamaanu," which means generation. So the show became English Time/ Generation English. This is the perfect name.



The show consists of fifteen minute (give or take) lessons covering basic ideas in English, meant for an audience of Pulaar speakers living in villages where radio is the primary means of contact with the outside world. Many of the men in the river valley have emigrated to the U.S., which has provided a real incentive for their families and children back home to learn English. When I visited so many villages my voice became hoarse from incessant practice of "How are you? I am fine." Finally, I realized that a radio show could be an easy way to teach English to many villages at the same time. 

An incredible team made the idea into reality. The Jamaanu team is a group of brilliant individuals, Samba Kebe, Habib Ly, Alioune Ba, Abderhamane Sarr, Adama Lam, Mikaeilou Mamadou Sadio Sow, and Ibrahima Thiam. 




The quality of the program is far from perfect and the content itself is rough at best, but it was a good effort and I am so impressed with our team's dedication and commitment to a creative project like this. Check it out, I'd love to hear what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment