Friday, January 24, 2014

Dar Chebab

Today I learned a new word in Arabic - Dar Chebab means youth center. This week I visited one of my students at the youth center where she teaches. 


The complex consisted of seven classrooms with basic materials- chalkboards, ping pong table, desks & chairs, a few old computers and a definite absence of books. Greatest resource available is the team of motivated teachers and administration. The children come to classes every day after school because they want to be there. I attended two of my students' classes and met all of her colleagues. The children sang and laughed and loved every minute of it. 



Afterwards, my student invited me meet her family and they showed me incredible generosity. Her little brother kept bringing me candy and sweets. Her mom showed me how to make bread. They drove me home at 10:00 pm after. It was probably the best day I have had since I arrived in Algeria. It is too bad this family lives so far away because I would love to visit them every week. 





No comments:

Post a Comment