Monday, January 13, 2014

To Be A Teacher

I am so happy in the classroom. Seeing my students working, discussing, debating, and laughing brings me immense joy. I just love teaching! The teachers I work with travel from throughout the Algiers region to attend my trainings. Some of them travel up to four hours per day in each direction. They are so committed to the program and attendance is almost at nearly 95%. 

I had a two week vacation while I was in Morocco for a conference. I sent emails to the teachers to remind them but most bounced back. I came to class early to prepare for the day and found only two teachers there. The coordinator from the Ministry was there and he said that we will wait in the lobby for the rest of the teachers. After thirty minutes, the time for the session to begin, I told him that I will just hold a class with the two who came and hope the rest come soon. 

We walked across the compound to the conference room and I saw all of the teachers waiting for me. It was like a surprise party! I was so delighted to see them and I wanted to run and give everyone a big hug. There had been some confusion- someone at the conference center showed them to the room without passing by the lobby. 

During class we had a "gallery walk" of the collages we made before the break. It was so funny to see the staff from the conference center standing in the back to admire the collages, like a real gallery. They created true works of art! 




I am so fortunate to have an an incredible group of teachers this year. Seeing them is the highlight of my week. Today two students gave me gifts for the new year. Even though they said they had intended to give me the gifts before the break, it was fitting because today is the New Year in the Islamic calendar. One student gave me a beautiful pair of red rose earrings. I am already wearing them. Another student gave me a small book about the holy Qu'ran, as a way of sharing health and blessings for the new year. She wrote me a letter and explained that she thought it might be interesting for me to read about how to perform ablutions and other aspects of Islam. I was very touched by her thoughtful gift and very heart-felt words. 

Friendship is universal, sharing and exchanging ideas is an essential part of cross-cultural friendships. I am so grateful to have met such wonderful teachers during my time in Algeria. Although I wish I was teaching every day, I cherish every minute I have with this magnificent bunch. 


2 comments: