Saturday, April 16, 2011

Kiffa kaleidoscope

I recently organized a workshop in Kiffa for all of the teachers in the region. After the workshop we went shopping. I was in a celebratory mood because one hundred percent of the teachers came to the workshop. They were enthusiastic and appreciative. It was perfect.

Top on the list of things to buy were Kiffa beads, glass beads made only in Mauritania. Even more than the Kiffa beads, I loved the old stone ones. I went a little overboard but I couldn't stop myself when all the ladies opened their purses and pulled out more precious glass beads. It was a bonanza! 




Not on the list of things to buy was a necklace for a cow, which is what one lady told me this item was used for: 



Does any body know if this is true or not? Another thing not on the list was a leather shotgun case, hand painted by the woman in the photo below. Although now I am thinking that maybe I should have bought it, as I am sure she could have used the cash. I bought some beads from her instead. 




I don't remember the last time I had more fun shopping. Kiffa seemed to be overflowing with treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment