Friday, April 1, 2011

Islands in the Stream

I spent my spring break from classes in Cape Verde this year. I have a colleague from the same program that I am doing in Mauritania who teaches at the University there. It was a great opportunity for me to visit the islands with an amazing tour guide. My friend Melanie from Nouakchott came along as well, and of course we all packed in the fun!


First, we spent a few days hanging out in Praia. 


We visited the UNESCO World Heritage site Cidade Velha and hiked up the mountain to visit the old Portuguese Fort. 


There were amazing views of the ancient village below.


Then we moved along to Fogo, the island of fire. The big attraction there was a huge volcano that last erupted in 1995. 


The gorgeous beaches have sparkly black sand...


Our hotel had a marvelous view of the cliffs below


Back in Praia, we traveled to the other side of island to visit another amazing beach town, Farafall.


All in all, it was a fabulous vacation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment