Sunday, April 24, 2011

Redefining Roles

Last year I was assigned to teach a class called "Oral Expressions" for pre-service teachers. I decided to do a video project, the first time I ever endeavored to use technology in the classroom. I only had twenty students and it seemed like a good way to have the students practice their presentation skills while also having fun. 

I decided to do the same project again this year. Like last year, it has been a learning experience for me. Yet all of the planning and hard work paid off on the first day the students starting filming and returned with huge grins from the joy of filming in the "real world" and being taken as serious journalists and actors by everyone they encountered. This brave group of students dressed up as Pizzorno workers (public sanitation), old men, museum staff, villagers lost in the city, and nomads. Amazing!


Yesterday morning we started editing the video footage and a deep feeling of pride welled up inside of me as I watched my shy students turn into talented actors. We are a long way from finishing the project but I can't wait to share it... 

No comments:

Post a Comment