Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Count-down





It looks like my contract in Mauritania is ending, without the possibility of renewal. My position will not be replaced. Since the day I arrived I planned on definitely staying a third year, if I was offered the opportunity. I was optimistic. 


In February this year, the final positions for the 2011/2012 academic year were posted online and Mauritania was not on the list. Then I realized that I better start looking for another job. It is really too early to look though, since I actually won't need a new job until September. Since the program also cut most of the Africa positions this year, I guess my time as an English Language Fellow is drawing to a close. Just six more weeks. It is difficult to face an unknown future but I welcome the change. I know it will be hard to leave and I don't look forward to packing two years of living into boxes and saying goodbye to all my friends. I must start doing so now because six weeks is not enough time. 



People keep asking me what I am doing next and I am ok with not having an answer. I am taking it all in stride with the knowledge that something better will come along when the time is right. In the mean time, I plan on having a nice vacation, doing a bit traveling, and enjoying the freedom of endless possibilities for the future.




5 comments:

  1. good luck deeds! whatever is next will be wonderful and i look forward to reading all about it. in mpls now and wish you were here. it has been ages. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alison! That is so sweet of you. I wish I was in in MN right now too. One of these days hopefully our visits will overlap! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you -- things just fall into place, somehow. Enjoy the uncertainty for now. Nothing is written, as they say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jocy. I have a couple leads but nothing solid! I plan on doing a lot of traveling this summer. I better enjoy it while I can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you go we will miss you a lot.I hope to see you in the near future.Good luck and more thanks.

    ReplyDelete