Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Where the desert meets the sea

I just returned from a trip to Nouadhibou. I have wanted to visit this place since I first arrived in Mauritania. My mind was filled with images of shipwrecks, trains, and gorgeous coast lines.


I went there to organize a workshop with the English teachers working there. The planning meetings filled the entire first day and the workshop and activities filled the second day, which meant that I didn't have much time to explore the city. 




The teachers in Nouadhibou were wonderful. They led interactive activities and were very active participants throughout the day. In the evening we showed the film "To Sir, With Love" at the high school and had an evening of entertainment as well. 


Though I had an excellent weekend, I didn't get a chance to really appreciate the charms of the city. I did see the shipwreck graveyard but I was too far away to take any good pictures. It is the largest in the world.




Most of the coastline seemed to be divided up by the various industries operating there. However, the train circled us everywhere we went. It is the longest train in the world. 



2 comments:

  1. hello it was for me a best day because I LEARNED MORE WITH YOU AND DJIGO. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU YOU DONE FOR US.
    TOURE IBRAHIMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Toure. It was a very wonderful trip and I hope that I can make it to NDB again sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete